overhaul / undertow

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

So I saw my old rheumatologist today who seems to have a bead on what's causing my health troubles. Phew. He even gave me medicine to take down the swelling and pain in my neck. It's only been a few hours and the problem's reduced by about half. Amazing.

In other news, I was looking back through all my writing and poetry, and I'm realizing that I haven't written anything good (I'm talking prose, now, and poems, not reportage or my articles) since I quit drinking.

I remember Paul and Jaylinn and I hanging out, all reading a poem by Bukowski. We'd been going through his books. There was this one poem he wrote sober. As he wrote it, he analyzed it. He noted it had no soul. That he doubted anyone'd really want to read it. It didn't suck, it just...dissappeared into the ether. It wasn't anything. No substance.

I wonder if some day, far in the future, I will dose myself methodically with whiskey, four ounces per two hours, perhaps, to let the words come out.

3 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah but lots of your poetry was about love gone wrong, and your stopping drinking coincides roughly with the appearance of TJ. So maybe it has nothing to do with drink...

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend either McCallen 18 (that's a good single malt), or if you REALLY wanna get inspired, Johnny Walker Blue Label - it's an expensive blended, but delicious. Oh wait. You said Whiskey! What's the difference? :)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger lucinda michele said...

Damn woman, when'd you turn into a booze connoiseur? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home