overhaul / undertow

Wednesday, July 03, 2002



just got back from driving around downtown glendale to find the effin market, which someone gave me completely incorrect directions to, but that's another story...

about 50% of the people I saw were on cell phones; if they were in the car they were using those wireless, "I'm talking to the CIA" kind of headphoney thingies...

no one made eye contact, everybody hurried about in their office casual, with boxed lunches heading back to the office after the daily grill or the olive garden...

i let some folks go in front of me, stopped for vaious pedestrians, and no one waved thank you, and again no one made eye contact...I suppose they're all feeling crushed, accosted by the whirling world they have to dodge in and out of, and feel as if i owe it to them to stop and let them pass, which in a way I do, but it's a mutual exchange, they are not in a cgi world, they forget I'm a human too, to them I'm just another polygonal figure behind a mirage of glass windshield, to shield me from what wind I don't know could possibly blow down through these steel and alabaster corridors of carefully partitioned office buildings with their corner offices and inspirational posters...

and still no one looks at me. I drive around listeing to loud music with the windows all down, singing along, a toolbox and a wooden sword in the back seat, my super lucky cat on my dash and a card with the virgin of guadalupe hanging from the mirror, keeping an eye on me. I'm not religious. She looks out for me anyways.

Is no one unique anymore?

I feel very very alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home